Timeline

 Back to Badby history through the ages  |  Back to Badby History Section overview 

Church Bells retuned and rehung with new headstocks and clappers 2025/26
Last service held in The Chapel 2021 2021 Population 701 (346 female, 355 male), 278 households
Extension to Badby Primary School built. Closure of the Windmill Inn. Badby Neighbourhood Plan published 2019
Internal changes to St Mary’s Church to make it more suitable for modern use 2018
Badby School becomes multi-Academy Trust with 3 other schools 2014  
  2011 Population 632 (312 male, 320 female), 272 dwellings
Post Office closed 2008  
Youth Hostel closed 2005  
  2001 Population 633
Mains gas to the village. Co-op closes 1992  
  1991 Population 720
  1986 Population 715
Nature Conservancy Council designate Badby Woods a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) 1985  
  1981 Population 652 – 52% Females. 228 houses
New chestnut trees planted to replace ones showing signs of age 1975  
The Glebe begun 1974  
Houses built in Stone Way 1973  
  1971 Population 580
National School closed and pulled down. Used for Sunday School & Mothers’ Union 1966  
Council acquires land to create school playing field 1965  
Houses built in Park Close 1963  
  1961 Population 483
Mains water available to all houses >1956  
Neneside Close built 1956/7  
Last Fawsley Woodman (E Hickman) retires Mid- 1950s  
Seat donated by WI placed on The Green 1954  
Village Hall purchased by Parish Council, run by separate Management Committee 1951  1951 Population 478
Street lighting installed 1949  
Main drainage arrives 1948  
New council houses built on Pound Lane 1947  
Youth Hostel Association acquire cottages on Church Green (c. 1686). Opens 1946 1945  
Still public stand-pipes on Vicarage Hill, Church Green, Church Hill, Brookside, Bunkers Hill, Main Street
fed from Reservoir opp. Church, fed by springs
1940s  
Phipps Brewery takes over The Maltsters Arms 1939  
Electricity in the village. Bells at St Mary’s Church installed in new frame and retuned 1932  
  1931 Population 444
Cemetery extended 1930  
Chapel renovated by C Rodhouse JP 1929  
Council houses built on Pinfold Green 1927  
Village Institute (now Village Hall) built onto The Old School House 1921  1921 Population 468
Branch of Women’s Institute started by Lady Knightley. Parish passes to Bishop of Peterborough 1919  
House where Corner House now stands burnt down 1917  
Current Badby School opened 1913  
Red Chestnut trees planted to commemorate the coronation of George V 1911/12 1911 Population 423
Public subscription towards a new Council school 1904  
Co-op opens 1902  
  1901 Population 408
Parish Council takes over the village greens from Sir Charles Knightley 1897  
  1891 Population 519
Churchyard closed, cemetery opened 1889/90  
  1881 Population 530, 131 houses
Restoration of interior of Church by EF Law 1880  
Chapel opened as Congregational Church 1873  
  1871 Population 608
National School created in cottages on Vicarage Hill; Mary Lady Knightley’s School used as infants’ school 1870  
  1861 Population 618
Mary Lady Knightley’s School for girls (The Old School House) designed by Willam Wyatt 1812
Enclosures Act for Badby passed 1779 1779 90 houses and 44 homesteads
First recorded landlord of The Maltsters Arms (Barwich Brayfield) 1772  
Simon Marriott was the earliest recorded landlord of The Windmill 1766  
Act creates the Banbury–Lutterworth turnpike (now the A361) passing Badby, with tollgate at ‘Badby Gap’ 1765  
  1720 86 houses
The Church steeple collapsed; rebuilding begun 1707, completed 1709 1705  
  1676 Population – 420 Conformist, 0 Papist, 0 Non-conformist
All the routes out of Badby gated 1636  
Date of inscription on Badby church bells 1623  
Rectorship and patronage of Badby and Newnham passed to Christ Church, Oxford 1546  
  1540 Population 280 (56 houses x 5, 37 listed as messuages)
Dissolution of the monasteries 1539  
Moated hall rebuilt 1379  
Construction of Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin Early C14  
Emparkment of Badby Woods for deer hunting by Henry III 1246  
Moated grange built at Badby by the Abbot of Evesham 1189  
  1104 Population (inc. Newnham) 250 – 43 Heads of Household and 6 tenants (x 5 for approx. population), 50 (?) houses
Record of Badby (Badebi) in Domesday Book – value £8 1086  
Three Saxon Boundary Charters describe Badby estate boundaries (which included Newnham) 944– 1021  
   
Mesozoic Era, Jurassic Period – Geological structures within which Badby sits were formed 12–150 million
years ago
 

Last updated 26 May 2026